WALKING IS ONE OF THE oldest and best forms of exercise. There are tons of benefits:
- You can do it anywhere and with anyone—including in the mall with friends!
- Walking doesn’t require a lot of expensive equipment beyond a good pair of sneakers.
- Walking is a low-impact activity, so it doesn’t usually cause injury.
- Walking may not seem as intense as other activities, but it’s a great way to get your heart pumping.
Here are a few tips for making the most of this popular activity:
- Chin up: Just like models on the catwalk, it’s important to maintain proper posture when you’re walking for exercise. Try to hold your head erect (but don’t forget to look down to see what’s in front of you on the ground), and keep your back and stomach as flat as possible. Swing your arms, too. This helps create a faster heartbeat, doubling the cardiovascular benefit. “Cardio” refers to your heart and “vascular” to your blood vessels.
- Multitask: While you’re walking is a great time to get things done. You can return a call to a gal pal or listen to a podcast. If you walk with a friend, you can quiz each other for an upcoming test.
- Make a playlist: Listening to music makes the time fly. Mix it up, using fast dance tunes and slower music for taking a breather. Walk around a track or through a very well-traveled or well-lit park if you can. It’s safer than the street, where there’s traffic.
Thumbnail image Credit: Facts Verse